Core & Materials Testing
Download our Rock Properties Services brochure
Rock Properties Service Overview
AGAT Laboratories has been providing an integrated geological and engineering approach to conventional core, special core analysis and unconsolidated core for 30 years. Our geologists, engineers and technicians offer comprehensive reservoir quality analysis, assisting in resolving or preventing potential reservoir quality and fluid sensitivity problems. Within the Rock Properties’ divisions, AGAT Laboratories offers a unique, combined source of geological and engineering data that is used in the development and management of petroleum reservoirs.
The following five divisions work collaboratively for our Rock Properties services:
- Routine Core: Conventional core is analyzed for the measurement of core porosity at different vertical and horizontal scales under different physiochemical conditions. The three key reservoir parameters analyzed are porosity, permeability and fluid saturations.
- Geology and Petrology: Geological and petrology data is obtained through Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) and X-ray Diffraction analysis for drilling deposits and mineralogy studies.
- Oilsands Analysis: Heavy oil and oil sands deposits are assessed to determine the quality of the deposits. Parameters include porosity, permeability, fluid saturation and the distribution of particle size.
- Reservoir Characterization: Reservoir quality data is collected through special core analysis, Pressure-Volume-Temperature (PVT) studies and scale and corrosion services to efficiently explore, develop and produce petroleum resources.
- Rock Mechanics: Geomechanical testing, providing information critical to understanding in-situ stresses, ensuring borehole stability, caprock integrity and optimized fracture design.
The AGAT Advantage
In pursuit of excellence, our company maintains committed to the following initiatives to provide you with unique methods to optimize your business.
Quality: AGAT Laboratories’ Quality Management System is certified to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001:2015 for specific testing. We also maintain memberships in the American Petroleum Institute Subcommittee for Core Analysis (SCA), the Canadian Society for Petroleum Geologists (CSPG) and the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologist and Geophysics of Alberta (APEGGA).
Health, Safety and the Environment: AGAT Laboratories is committed to safeguarding the health and safety of our employees and clients and our safety systems have been rewarded by the Alberta Government. We take a “Green” approach to all of our operations to minimize our environmental footprint while still providing optimal services.
Client Project Managers: Our Client Project Managers (CPMs) are highly qualified and experienced in managing both domestic and international large-scale core programs. These personnel are available to provide you with technical advice and interpretation for the evaluation of reservoirs and oil recovery. They actively participate in the planning and coordination of client projects throughout all stages of laboratory analysis.
Technical Innovations: AGAT Laboratories has an active Research and Development Program that has contributed significantly to keeping us at the forefront of technology and innovation. We are committed to investing in new developments to continue to advance science.
Facilities: We have over 350,000 square feet of laboratory space dedicated to serving the Energy Sector. Our diversity of services allows us to offer you a full scope of analysis from the divisions of Rock Properties, Pretroleum Testing Services, Environmental Chemistry, Air Quality Monitoring and Lubricants Testing Services.
Imaging Department: AGAT Laboratories’ Imaging Department specializes in multiple types of core imaging that include the following:
- Ultra-violet and flash photography images of whole and slabbed conventional and unconventional core.
- Rotating movies and virtual objects.
- Close-up photography where images captured are individual samples or a section of core in a greater than one-to-one ratio.
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) images.
- Thin Section Photography.
Along with specialized software programs for you to access and manipulate core images, we have an FTP server that has 100 per cent up-time for secure client access to their images through our WebOILSANDS program.
Click the Routine Core tab above to view some examples of these imaging techniques.