AGAT Laboratories’ environmental laboratories utilize US EPA and Standard Methods for the examination of water and wastewater, as well as CCME, ASTM, OMOE, RBCA, MDDEFP, NIOSH and other recognized methodologies in accordance with both federal and provincial legislations.
We deliver comprehensive analytical services for:
- Contaminated site testing
- Drilling waste services
- Landfill monitoring
- Groundwater and surface water monitoring
- Mine reclamation and monitoring
- Waste Leachate testing
- Open Scan compound identification
- Detailed soil and water analysis (including drinking water)
- Research and development
- Method development
- Soil vapour analysis
Our full-range of services can provide you with the following advantages:
- Fast turn-around of data and rush results available for time-sensitive analysis.
- Experienced, highly qualified staff and state-of the-art instrumentation.
- An assigned Business Development Representative and personalized Client Project Manager for your project needs.
- Strategically located laboratories for easy access.
- A comprehensive branch and depot system for convenient sample drop-off and supply pick-up.
- Relationships with leading domestic and international couriers with next-day service and the ability to assist with sample logistics planning for remote sampling sites.
- Instant access to results at anytime, anywhere through our interactive environmental databaseWebEARTH.
WebEARTH is our interactive web database for our environmental clients. This software package can provide you with real-time access to analytical results while integrating features such as data-trending, guideline comparisons, quality control and customizable export functions. This includes custom downloads in client-specified formats, the substitution of cross-Canada regulatory standards, various reporting formats, trending and graphing options all in a secure, managed environment.
To access our WebEARTH login page, click here.
The En Core Sampler ®
AGAT Laboratories is the exclusive Canadian laboratory provider of the En Core® Sampler. This device collects, stores and delivers soil samples in one easy-to-use package. It is approved by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment as the only alternative to Methanol field stabilization, eliminating the requirement for chemical stabilization in the field.
Laboratory accreditation provides formal recognition to competent laboratories, thus providing a ready means for you to find reliable testing and calibration services that also meets your service needs.
AGAT Laboratories is accredited, licensed or approved for specific analyses by the following agencies:
- The Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation (CALA)
- The Standards Council of Canada (SCC)
- Enhanced Water Quality Assurance (EWQA)
- Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC)
- Ministère de l’Environnement et de l’Action en matière de changement climatique (MDDELCC)
- Nova Scotia Environment
AGAT Laboratories is accredited by CALA and SCC, for specific tests, to the following standard:
- ISO/IEC 17025:2017
AGAT laboratories is certified to the following standard:
- ISO 9001:2015
The Accreditation Process
World-wide, many countries rely on a process called Laboratory Accreditation which includes specific criteria and procedures as a means of determining technical competence. Specialized technical assessors conduct a thorough evaluation of all factors in a laboratory that affect the production of test or calibration data. The criteria is based on the internationally accepted standards of ISO/IEC 17025, which are used for evaluating laboratories throughout the world. Laboratory accreditation bodies specifically use this standard to assess factors relevant to a laboratory’s ability to produce precise and accurate test and calibration data.
AGAT Laboratories is accredited, licensed or approved for specific analyses and ensures:
- Validity and appropriateness of test methods.
- Suitability, calibration and maintenance of test equipment.
- Technical competence of staff.
- Testing environment.
- Sampling, handling and transportation of test items.
- Quality assurance of test and calibration data.
- Traceability of measurements and calibrations to national standards.
To ensure continued compliance, accredited laboratories are regularly re-examined to ensure that they are maintaining their standards of technical expertise. These laboratories may also be required to participate in regular proficiency testing programs as an on-going demonstration of their competency.
Accreditation and Proficiency Testing
CALA: The Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation (CALA) grants and maintains laboratory accreditations. It operates two programs that assist laboratories in meeting international accreditation requirements. These programs are known as the Proficiency Testing Program and the Training Service Program. Accreditation itself is based on satisfactory participation in CALA’s site assessment program as well as satisfactory participation in proficiency testing.
Proficiency Testing: Is a special type of inter-laboratory comparison study. It is a powerful quality assurance tool that enables laboratories to monitor their performance and compare their results against similar laboratories.
CALA’s Proficiency Testing Program is accredited to ISO/IEC 17043 and generally consists of four samples per study with two studies per year.
The analyte concentrations in these samples are unknown to the participating laboratory, which analyzes the samples and reports the results for evaluation. If the laboratory does not report the correct value for two consecutive rounds of study, they are suspended for those parameters and will not be accredited until the issue has been corrected. Successful participation results in the laboratory obtaining proficient status for the analytes examined. These results are used as one of the surveillance tools in support of laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025.
Once accredited, a site assessment is done every two years at the qualifying laboratory to verify that operationally, the laboratory is up to the standards set forth by the accrediting body.